Newsfeed

History of St. Joseph Heights, Part II

Posted on: January 9, 2018 9:00 am
Tags: Archives, Blog,

Immediately to the left, upon entering St. Mary Cemetery on Dixie Highway (formerly Lexington Pike) a section of individual markers remembering Sisters of the Poor can be viewed. Next, on the left side is a large, single monument commemorating the 67 Sisters of Notre Dame buried there prior to the accessibility of the current convent cemetery at 1601 Dixie Highway. Photo from "Covington's Sisters of Notre Dame" (page 50) authored by Wm. Michael Hargis. For more information about accessing the book, contact Sr. M. Joan Terese Niklas at 859-392-8120.

Moving Up Lexington Pike

After purchasing six acres of the Old Fedders Farm on July 6, 1907, the Sisters of Notre Dame bought 33.75 acres and 20 poles of the adjoining farm from Albert and Anna Berry on September 18, 1907. This farm cost $17,000. The Sisters were another step closer to their goal: the Heck Farm that was adjacent to the Berry Farm. However, Theodore Heck was not yet ready to sell his farm. The Sisters planted a medal of St. Joseph on the Heck Farm and prayed earnestly that Mr. Heck would eventually agree to the sale of his farm. Upon acquisition of the farm, the Sisters promised to name the site St. Joseph Heights.  Struggles related to WWI (July 28, 1914-November 11, 1918) plus the raising of sufficient funds, further delayed the construction of the Covington Provincial House.

Elsewhere on Lexington Pike

The first Sister of Notre Dame to die in the United States was Sr. M. Georgia (Johanna Schlussemann) of the Covington Province. She was born in Heiden, Germany on November 27, 1832 and entered the Sisters of Notre Dame in Coesfeld, Germany on June 15, 1862. In the United States she was a teacher. As a victim of tuberculosis, she went home to God on July 9, 1877 and was buried at St. Mary Cemetery in Ft. Mitchell. In 1922 the Sisters established their own convent cemetery within the acres of the Heck Farm. Sr. M. Susanna Hidding was the first Sister buried there.

An Answer to Prayer

On October 16, 1912 Theodore and Maude Heck sold 12 acres of their farm to the Sisters of Notre Dame. Subsequently, two additional acres were vended on November 20, 1914. Total of 53.75 acres and 20 poles! The DREAM of a Covington provincial house was slowly progressing toward becoming a REALITY!

 


Suggested links

90th Anniversary of St. Joseph Heights

History of St. Joseph Heights, Part I

 

Leave a Comment